This past weekend the Sucias took another win against the Derailers of Durango Colorado… but it was the first for me. Saturday was my debut as a skater for Crossroads City Derby. I transfered in June, after moving from Farmington, NM.
You might have caught a glimpse of me on the track… tall, pale and a head full of red hair. You might have asked your person next to you, “Who the hell is Rx Bex?” Yeah I heard you say that. It’s cool! I didn’t expect you to know… but my team knew. So did the Durango Rollergirls, who were the first league I ever skated with, and they have always been a league I have highly respected.
A long story short, I knew the Sucias were bouting the Derailers a few short months after my transfer, and I knew I wanted to be a part of it. I also knew it would take a lot of work.
Fast-forward to bout day, I found myself in a Sucias jersey (squeee!), lacing up my skates, knowing the degree of competition we were up against. We warmed up and prepared mentally for what we were about to do, and the second we took the track, magic began to happen. I felt like part of a giant yellow and red machine… like a team…. The Sucias!
A great skater recently told us “Be the Awesome, ” and on bout night, that’s what we were. Yes, we had some indestructible walls, some great traps, wicked jammer kills, and who could forget our Pa-pa-pa-power jams Pa-pa-power jams (muh muh muh muh), but I feel what allowed us to play with the edge that we did was our degree of athleticism, and or team’s cohesive spirit.
Really, you can do anything for two minutes, but against Durango you can expect to play a very exhausting physical game. They’re great competitors, and while playing them, we found ourselves having to adjust our strategy. It all made for a great game and we all had a great time, and for that we thank the Derailers.
If you want a recap of the entire bout, I’m sorry you really had to be there, but here are a few moments I remember:
– Hippie Check’s power jam in the first half that took the score from 19-14 to 34-14
– Barbie Bombshell… always a bombshell
– Racky Balboa… not ejected!
– Great pack work with Hell Paseo.
– Puncher Villa’s pixie jamming
– Rise and Shiner’s epic power jam after the half
– Venomous DiMilo’s shimmy through the front of the pack.
– Rx Bex (moi) jumping over GG Slam and Brickaus Betty
– Choni Chaser’s grasshopper blocking
– Hearno Evil… what can’t she do for two minutes?
– General Grant Slam’s Pa-pa-pa-power Jam bringing the final score to 135 to 76!
– Crazy cheering on the bench with the rest of the team.
– Charity Bomb’s bloody nose
– Jenny Jolts, the human wall
– Mouseattak-Her’s jammer kill on the inside line.
– “Awesome”- (ah-sum) noun. refer to Sucias, the All-Star Team of Crossroads City Derby
It’s really great to be part of an awesome team! Thank you Sucias, and Congratulations on a huge win!
-Rx Bex, 30mg