If you’ve reached this page, it means you're definitely interested in joining Las Cruces' roller derby league, Crossroads City Derby. Here are some steps to getting hip with the Las Cruces derby scene:
STEP ONE: COME CHECK US OUT
Fresh Meat starts with FRESHIE NIGHTS. Attend one or all of them, but you must attend at least one before the first official practice that starts 12 glorious weeks of training. Please come see us BEFORE jumping into Fresh Meat training, especially if you've never skated or it's been a few years! Join us on the outdoor rink behind Meerscheidt Recreation Center at 1600 E. Hadley Avenue. PLEASE BRING WATER! We'll have some loaner gear available for you to try on and test out (after signing a waiver) and some basic information for you. You'll also get a chance to see what practice is like.
The next Fresh Meat (Chile Verde) group will start with Freshie Nights on September 12, 14, & 19 at 6:30pm. The first official practice is September 21st and the cost is only $20 for 3 months of training! Arrive at 6:15pm (or 6pm if you need loaner gear) to be geared up and on the track by 6:30pm. You will not be permitted to practice without a mouthguard starting 9/21.
STEP TWO: GET GEAR
Start scoping out gear and what will work for your wallet. You'll need the following items:
Most skaters in our league are willing to help others with sizing or tips on where the best deals are. Although there is a skate shop in El Paso, you can find some great deals on rookie packages on these sites:
Derby Warehouse - coupon code "CCD" gets you 20% off your order!
Low Price Skates
Bruised Boutique - coupon code "CCD10" for 10% OFF any and all regularly priced items, 15% OFF all Fresh Meat packages and a free skate tool & mouthguard, 20% OFF bulk orders of 10 or more!
STEP THREE: WFTDA INFORMATION
Completely new to roller derby? Check out http://wftda.com/
The Women’s Flat Track Derby Association promotes and governs women’s roller derby by setting rules, safety guidelines, etc. Kinda like the NFL or NHL, but for skaters like us.
1. Pay special attention to the following link: http://wftda.com/rules
2. Download "The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby"
STEP FOUR: YOUR DERBY NAME
The derby name is most sacred of possessions for a roller derby skater. Most derby skaters have an unspoken set of rules that one must follow or suffer the scrutiny of others who are "in-the-know."
1. Don't broadcast your name until you can complete basic skills requirements. The way skaters see it is that you EARN that name. So word of advice when meeting other experienced derby folk, use your real name especially if you don't have your skate legs under you yet.
2. Do pick a name that you’re proud of. Regardless of the rough nature of this sport, there will be family and friends attending our bouts. In short, pick a name that you're not ashamed to hear your 8-year-old fan screaming from the bleachers.
3. Don't choose a name that someone else has. Once you have your list of the final five, ten or thirty, ask around, check Facebook just to make sure it's not already taken. You want a name that is all yours. Check Derby Roll Call for inspiration and to avoid being a copycat.
STEP FIVE: LEARN IT, LIVE IT, LOVE IT
No matter your size, shape, or age, roller derby can be your sport, but it takes dedication. You must commit to being a derby athlete. Your safety and teammates depend on your dedication to the sport on and off the track! This means showing up for practice even when you don't really feel like it, trying new challenges, and working hard. It's not easy, but that's what makes it AMAZING!
We do this for the love of the game, to feel like a superhero, and to challenge ourselves. Whatever YOUR reason, we hope you stay along for the ride. If you have any questions feel free to email us: email@example.com.
You can also check us out on Facebook: CROSSROADS CITY DERBY
Crossroads City Derby (CCD) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting athleticism, good sportswomanship, and female empowerment through the sport of women’s flat-track roller derby. It is our mission to provide a positive and supportive environment that instills courage, integrity, and mutual respect in our athletes while helping them to excel in the sport that they love.